Muni Meter Legislation

Current & proposed legislation and political happenings that affect the two-wheeled community

Muni Meter Legislation

Postby vesparado » Thu May 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Someone posted this on NYSC forum

I received this notification via the Harley Owners Group, but I believe this is important for all of us as riders of scooters and motorcycles.

I write to notify you of legislation I recently introduced in the New
York City Council, Int. 860-2012. This legislation would exempt
certain vehicles with “a dashboard that is not capable of being fully
enclosed”, like motorcycles, from purchasing muni-meter time.

As a motorcycle rider myself, I am aware of all the difficulties
involved in securing the muni-meter receipt to my bike. Even if a
receipt is successfully attached, there is NO way to prevent its
theft. My legislation provides a remedy for this scenario. All
vehicles would still be required to abide by all other laws and
regulations, including time limits.

Please do not hesitate to contact my office if there is anything I
can do for you in the future.

Sincerely,

PETER F. VALLONE JR.
New York City Council
Chair, Public Safety Committee
Dan Sciannameo
http://www.avgny.com
vesparado

Re: Muni Meter Legislation

Postby Jillian » Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :wings: :wings: :wings: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Vesparado, this is A-MAZING!

We're going to start strategizing about this ASAP and get an action alert out to our members.

Any other thoughts on how we can get this legislation on the move?
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Postby Cheryl S » Thu May 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Everyone who lives in NYC should call their NYC Councilmember to support this fantastic legislation! It's easy to find out who to call by going to this page:

http://council.nyc.gov/html/members/members.shtml

When your Councilmember's staff answers the phone, simply say you're calling to support Intro 860, the bill to exempt motorcycles from paying at Muni-Meters.

If you wish to discuss it further with your Councilmember's staff, the most important reason why we should be exempted is because we don't have an enclosed dash to protect the receipt from theft, wind and weather. You can share that you ride a fuel efficient, congestion reducing vehicle, and that you're unable to use Muni-Meters on your motorcycle/scooter.

If anyone feels supercharged enough about this issue to ask for a meeting with their Councilmember to discuss it, or other issues important to riders in NYC, there are Task Force members who may be available to make the visit with you. Let us know.
Cheryl S
Cheryl S

Postby Jillian » Thu May 24, 2012 2:01 pm

By the way, all, Councilman Garodnick's Int-0301 passed this March, which allows you to keep your Muni-Meter receipt in your wallet and have a ticket automatically dismissed. It was a half-measure that didn't solve the problem, but it was a step in the right direction.
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Postby jerlbaum » Thu May 31, 2012 2:30 pm

I've been away for a week. Do we have free Muni-meter parking yet?

Seriously, who is going to join me to push this thing as far as it can be pushed? We all care about this issue, and I'd like to get a show of hands: Who is ready to assist in whatever needs to be done? :ear:

Here's what I think we need to do:

1. Contact the offices of the bill sponsors. Ask them how we can help. Let them know that the NYMSTF loves this idea.

2. Keep a close tab on the hearings related to this bill. Make a point of having people at EVERY public hearing to show support.

3. Have succinct and meaningful testimony to deliver on this issue wherever possible.

4. Organize a campaign to have riders contact whomever is best to contact, and convey their support.

Any other ideas?

As I see it, this bill only passes if there is NO opposition, and there IS some political upside. No council member, unless they are personally affected by this issue (as Vallone appears to be) is going to stick their neck out even a little to support our "dangerous hobby." So, we need to demonstrate that there are a lot of people who like this idea, and none who oppose it.

Jesse
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby jerlbaum » Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm

My email letter to Vallone:

I'm writing to enthusiastically support your Int 0860-2012 ("Exempting certain vehicles from purchasing muni-meter time").

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I am a motorcyclist, and a NYC resident. The Muni-meter system was clearly not made with motorcycles and scooters in mind. The myriad of different interpretations of the laws by TEAs and ALJs result in frequent injustice for riders.

Your proposed bill will correct this defect, and send the ball back to DOT for them to devise a better solution. Other cities have done this (London and San Francisco, to name two) so NYC should be able to, as well.

Finally, I truly hope that NYC might one day view motorcycles and scooters as a solution to the dual problems of pollution and congestion, as many other comparable cities have. If even a small percentage of car drivers switch to a motorcycle or scooter, there will be a strong net positive effect on the quality of life for everybody in NYC, in terms of saved time (less traffic) and less CO2 emissions.

Send your own letter here: http://council.nyc.gov/d22/html/members/home.shtml
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby vesparado » Thu May 31, 2012 5:28 pm

I sent an email to my council member who is a cosponsor of the bill. We have also posted the original bill and your link to the NYMSTF newsletter on the NY Scooter Club forum.
Dan Sciannameo
vesparado

Postby Jillian » Thu May 31, 2012 8:59 pm

Dan, which council member's district do you live in? We're looking for NYMSTF members who live in the districts of co-sponsors of the bill. Can you be at Tuesday's meeting to help us strategize? 7:30 Tuesday at Proner & Proner in midtown
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Postby vesparado » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:37 am

Jillian wrote:Dan, which council member's district do you live in? We're looking for NYMSTF members who live in the districts of co-sponsors of the bill. Can you be at Tuesday's meeting to help us strategize? 7:30 Tuesday at Proner & Proner in midtown

I actually do live in Debi Rose's district in Staten Island and contacted her office. Members from NYSC are also contacting their council members. I can try to make the meeting but I am unsure because I have a meeting downtown beforehand. I know the building well, my office for 20 years until 10 years ago.
Dan Sciannameo
vesparado

Postby Cheryl S » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm in.

We can and should be ready with a strong message to convince Councilmembers, the Mayor, and DOT that our vehicles can be part of the solution. If NYC stopped penalizing us for riding two wheeled vehicles by asking us to use Muni-meters that were not designed to accommodate our needs, people would use congestion reducing two wheeled vehicles instead of large, gas guzzling four wheeled vehicles. One of our best tools will be Sam Schwartz's study commissioned by Piaggio as part of their Vespanomics initiative. Sam Schwartz, aka Gridlock Sam, is a well known traffic planner whose reports have been the basis for several NYC DOT initiatives. His Vespanomics study made a strong case for huge overall traffic reduction gains that could be made in NYC with only a 10% increase in scooter ridership. I have a hard copy of the report here somewhere. I'll try to find it before the meeting tomorrow.
Cheryl S
Cheryl S

Next

Return to Legislation & Politics