Issues with parked bike being hit and tipped over.

Parking, Maintenance, and Such

Issues with parked bike being hit and tipped over.

Postby JustinDiGiulio » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:12 pm

I think I might be going crazy, but each day I'm feeling more and more anxious about where I have my bike parked and checking on it's safety.
I have come out several mornings to see my bike tipped over and resting on its side. And the most second most recent time a stolen gas cap and more severe damage.
I'm practicing somewhat safe techniques in my approach to finding and positioning a parting space, but I'm getting pretty upset.
I think I need maybe a rabid hyena to chain to my bike over night. Any other solutions are welcome.
Attachments
6520.png
First occurrence, last time parking here.
JustinDiGiulio

Re: Issues with parked bike being hit and tipped over.

Postby jerlbaum » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:48 pm

JustinDiGiulio wrote:I think I might be going crazy, but each day I'm feeling more and more anxious about where I have my bike parked and checking on it's safety.
I have come out several mornings to see my bike tipped over and resting on its side. And the most second most recent time a stolen gas cap and more severe damage.
I'm practicing somewhat safe techniques in my approach to finding and positioning a parting space, but I'm getting pretty upset.
I think I need maybe a rabid hyena to chain to my bike over night. Any other solutions are welcome.

Sorry to hear that, Justin! As someone who has been knocked over, hit, and MOVED :x I know how you feel! I've picked up half a dozen bikes and scooters on my block which have been knocked over -- some more than once!

Short term solutions:

* Where you're parked in that picture might be a contributing factor: I've gotten wary of corners. In your particular case, it looks like cars may be turning right at the corner, and cutting the corner.

* I've started parking using a "wide stance" -- parking at a modest angle to the curb -- 60 to 70 degrees, instead of 90. This accomplishes two tasks: It reserves a greater length of curb so that cars don't get quite as close. It also makes the distance the bike sticks out from the curb shorter.

* As much as possible, I try to "team up" with other riders to reserve a block of spots

* A try to park in front of a business or doorman building -- and then I try to get friendly with the owner/doorman so they'll help me!

* After you park, use your camera phone to snap a picture of the cars (and tags!) next to you.

* If you get knocked over, assuming you want to make an insurance claim, you have to call 911 and have the police file a report.

Longer term solutions:

* Convince NYC to create dedicated motorcycle parking spaces!

Oh, also: I would recommend a honey badger. They don't give a shit. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg[/youtube]
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby JustinDiGiulio » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Lately, I've been parking in the area around a fire hydrant. The parked cars in my area park so close, I can't even walk between them.
Absolutely ridiculous!

I know the fire hydrant is a higher traffic area, but I'm at a loss for spaces that even have enough room for my bike.
I'm really getting very frustrated!

Saturday morning I came home to find my bike tipped onto the hood of a car. This time I parked between two cars. Two cars with some decent space between them!

I don't know what to do, and I'm not seeing a solution in parking locally. I just feel like as long as I'm parking in a two block radius of my apartment, my bike is going to get knocked around.

- I gave up on the corner since cars must be wipping around them and catching the tire. An it's more more likely to attract attention.

- There are no other bikes on my block.

- Quiet area with no 24 hours business to scare anyone off or watch out.

- I do often take pictures of plates, but I don't know how I'd prove it was that particular car that bumped me.

- ? How legal is it to park at a VERY modest angle to the curb ?

- Also, the fire hydrant spot is nice because my living room windows over look it. (which keep me paranoid a lot of my at home time)

- ARRRGGGGG!>?!?!>
Attachments
photo.JPG
Sorry car.
JustinDiGiulio

Postby Brad Berson » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:27 pm

The NYMSTF is working on a video about motorcycle parking issues and we need pictures of fallen bikes from everyone. I see a couple here and that's a great start. We need pictures of knocked over motorcycles, preferably from the front, but front and back is good too. If you see something, no matter whose bike, please snap a pic in the highest possible quality and send it up. If you have trouble posting it to the web site just email it to me - brad.berson@nymstf.org. If you email it to me, any format including DSLR RAW is fine. And my mailbox has no size limitations.

Think of the Humane Society and ASPCA commercials with all the sad looking animals, then substitute motorcycles. ;-)

Thanks!
-Brad
Brad Berson

Postby JohnC » Thu May 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Better late than never :D

JohnC

Postby jerlbaum » Thu May 26, 2011 1:03 pm

JohnC wrote:Better late than never :D

Looks like it was parked on the sidewalk. Hummm.....
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby JohnC » Thu May 26, 2011 1:16 pm

Yes, it was one the sidewalk. I believe that even though it's on the sidewalk nobody should push it over. The rest of the world allows MC parking on the sidewalk and they still survive. :lol:
JohnC

Postby JohnC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:00 am

Breaking News!!!

Scooter gets knocked down and dragged a foot by Van

A van pulling out of it's parking spot on 6th Ave and 23rd street (I think) hits a parked scooter (at Muni Meter spot) and drags it a few feet. Fortunately the rider was not on the scooter at the time, he was on the sidewalk only a few feet away as his scoot gets dragged a 2 feet. The driver of the van was very apologetic and said he did not see the scooter in front of him. The owner of the scooter was very cool and calm.

I helped pull the van off the bike and interviewed the rider (well, I asked him a few questions.... hehehehe).

I asked if he knew about the NYMSTF and he said:

"No"

I told him you folks were working hard on getting MC parking spots for us riders and that he should check out the website. Unfortunately I didn't have any literature to give him so I hope he remembers the site.

JohnC

Return to Off the Bike