Muni-Meters

Parking, Maintenance, and Such

Re: Muni-Meters

Postby jerlbaum » Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Jillian wrote:Anyway, a car/moto distinction would be easy. But one for minicars and megacars would be tougher. Garages usually have a "list" of models - easy enough to marker in the next SUV atrocity, but I don't imagine DOT re-stickering a bunch of Muni-Meters to make sure everyone knows where their car falls. Or putting in length requirements, since most people don't know the length of their cars, and can't be expected to walk around with tape measures.

"Cars over X lbs must pay Large Class rates." The weight is right on the registration, which the owners are expected to have in their pocket. Owners of 6,000 lbs vehicles know it. I'll bet you there are some pretty clear correlations between length and weight. NYPD/TEA can use a rule of thumb with a good margin. (Hummer = Large. Mini = Normal. Scooter = Small) If TEA gets it wrong, just submit a copy of your registration to prove it.

(Come to think of it, doesn't TEA SCAN car regs? They might get the data straight from the bar-code!)

Jillian wrote:As for a street demonstration, I think we should proceed. E79th is actually a pretty decent location - it's a 2-way street so our actions are visible. And it's in front of Bloomie's house. But I'd want to scope out if it's Muni Meters or old meters first.

Needless to say, everybody who participates NEEDS TO BUY A MUNI TICKET!

Naturally, my preference is the Village, since there are a lot of motos, and I'll bet I can get the CB to comment on it.

We need an army of people willing to give up a couple hours of their life for the cause.
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby Gho100 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:51 am

Setting the date for this will be the keystone for getting things rolling, I think.

As I mentioned in the meeting, I'll glady work on posters and distribution to all the motorcycle and scooter shops.

I mentioned a dry-run on ADV, and got a little response, but that group is a little ADD...are there specific clubs that we have good relationships with?
George Overkamp
NYMSTF Secretary
Gho100

Postby Jillian » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:02 am

Free parking at Muni-Meters close to home!

I stumbled across this today:

In September of 2010 Hoboken made motorcycles and scooters exempt from paying at Muni-Meters.
http://hobokenrealestatemonitor.blogspo ... xempt.html

And they adopted it in their City Council:
(F) A person parking a motorcycle or moped is exempt from paying meter parking fees but may not exceed the maximum time allowed on the parking meter or parking pay station during a parking occasion at a paid parking space or paid parking zone.

from page 35 of the minutes here:
http://www.hobokennj.org/docs/council/m ... -01-10.pdf

:mrgreen:
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Last year, Daniel Dromm (D-Queens) introduced legislation that would reduce the minimum distance that a vehicle may park near a fire hydrant from 15 feet to 10 feet. The bill is currently in the Transportation Committee where it might have a decent chance of passage insofar as many other communities have done this. The 30-foot rule was apparently adopted back in the olden days so fire trucks could park at them while dealing with fires -- something that was anachronistic back then and is even more so now given how many pieces of FDNY apparatus respond to a simple oven fire.

The sponsor says that it could "create" as many as 100,000 new parking spaces at the city's 109,000 hydrants. That sounds way optimistic but what I was thinking is that this would be an opportunity to create a bunch of reserved motorcycle parking spaces next to some of those hydrants, especially insofar as many of them are located close to corners now. For instance, adding five feet of legal parking at the two hydrants on opposite ends of my block would just create two very long parking spots for a single car between the hydrant and the corner. But it could add 10 feet of parking for motorcycles on the block without sacrificing a single spot for cars.

Here's a link to Int 0139-2010.
Steve

Postby jerlbaum » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:06 am

jerlbaum wrote:I think it would be a good idea, a useful idea, and a non-controversial idea to press the city legislators to amend the code to specifically allow possession of a valid muni receipt as a valid defense for tickets. That would effectively eliminate the one vague area which remains.

From my lips to the City Council's ears:

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/Legisla ... ns=&Search

Int. No. 301: Sponsored by Council Member Dan Garodnick, this bill would require the NYC Department of Finance to dismiss parking violations issued for the failure to display a muni-meter receipt if the driver provides a valid receipt from the time the ticket was issued.

Hearing is THIS WEDNESDAY, scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. in the 14th Floor Committee Room at 250 Broadway in Lower Manhattan.

If you're interested in testifying and/or have any stories that relate to these bills that that you'd like to share with them, please feel free to contact Nivardo Lopez in the NYC Council Human Services Division at (212) 788-9087/nlopez@council.nyc.gov. You can also email your comments and stories to speakerquinn@council.nyc.gov, and they will forward them to the Committee's staff to be included in the official record for Wednesday's hearing.
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby jerlbaum » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:21 am

jerlbaum wrote:If you're interested in testifying and/or have any stories that relate to these bills that that you'd like to share with them, please feel free to contact Nivardo Lopez in the NYC Council Human Services Division at (212) 788-9087/nlopez@council.nyc.gov. You can also email your comments and stories to speakerquinn@council.nyc.gov, and they will forward them to the Committee's staff to be included in the official record for Wednesday's hearing.

Email just sent to Quinn's office:

Hello Speaker Quinn and members of the Transportation Committee:

I am writing to support and applaud Intro 301, "Requiring the Department of Finance to dismiss parking violations issued for the failure to display a muni-meter receipt if the driver provides a valid receipt from the time the ticket was issued."

I am a motorcycle rider who lives in New York City. Until such a time as Intro 301 is passed into law, there is no viable way to legally park a motorcycle or scooter in a Muni-Meter zone! Because scooters and motorcycles lack a roof and doors to secure paper Muni receipts, it is impossible to "display" these receipts as required by law. If left on these vehicle, Muni tickets will be blown away or stolen.

Passing Intro 301 will make it possible for motorcycle and scooter riders to legal utilize Muni meter zones.

I applaud the City Council, particularly the sponsors of Intro 301, for codifying into law a common-sense solution which is good, obvious, and obviously good!

Thank you for your work,

Warmest, sincere thanks,

Jesse Erlbaum
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby Jillian » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:12 pm

I just sent off an e-mail to the Quinn address for comments, and CC'd Garodnick:

Dear Speaker Quinn and Councilman Garodnick:

I am writing to in regards to Intro 301, "Requiring the Department of Finance to dismiss parking violations issued for the failure to display a muni-meter receipt if the driver provides a valid receipt from the time the ticket was issued."

I am a resident of Councilman Garodnick's district and a motorcycle rider. Many traditional parking meters on the UES are being replaced by Muni-Meters. Unfortunately, these were not designed with motorcycles and scooters in mind. Without a windshield, roof, or doors, I have no way to secure my receipt preventing loss or theft.

Passing Int 301 will allow me to keep the receipt in my wallet and present it as a valid defense when I (inevitably) receive a parking ticket.

Of course NYC should do everything in its power to encourage use of scooters and motorcycles, which are fuel efficient (I get 60mpg) and take up 1/7 the parking space of cars.

Thank you, Councilman Garodnick, for sponsoring this excellent legislation.

Regards,
Jillian Murray
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Postby Jillian » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:21 pm

By the way, out of curiosity I submitted an e-mail to NYC DOT via their website saying "Hi, I ride a motorcycle and where the heck am I supposed to put my muni-meter receipt?" Received a reply today:

Dear [you],

This is in response to your email dated May 26th, 2011, suggesting that the Department should allow motorcycles to park for free at muni meter locations due to the inability to place the receipt on the dashboard.

Although the Department does not allow motorcycles to park for free, the Department is about to start conducting a test of mobile payment of parking that will allow all users to pay for parking and not display a receipt. As the process progresses and comes to a conclusion in spring 2012 we will review and determine the next steps. In the interim, the Department does supply a plastic slipcase that can be attached to the motorcycle and the receipt is placed inside. To receive this plastic case, feel free to contact Joshua Salmon, Chief of the Pre-paid Parking Card Unit at (718) 786-2513.

Thank you for your interest in transportation issues.

Sincerely,
Vincent P. Susi, Director
Engineering & Parking Facilities
NYC DOT, Bureau of Parking
34-02 Queens Boulevard, 1st Floor
Long Island City, NY 11101
Off. 718.786.7811, Fax. 718.937.1370
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Postby JohnC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:55 am

Thanks for the info, I just called and left a VM.
JohnC

Postby Jillian » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:19 am

Sending the following today.
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Bike