Muni-Meters

Parking, Maintenance, and Such

Re: Muni-Meters

Postby governmentdocuments » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:36 pm

http://www.loginparking.com/holders.html

I actually own a few of these holders and they work well, provided I don't have the cover on the bike.

I understand many members of the forum feel motorcycles/scooters should park for free. Does anyone else feel that when it is possible for us to work within the system as it exists, the cooperation is appreciated?

I would much rather pay for parking in dedicated, protected motorcycle/scooter only spaces than to park on the sidewalk, take my license plate off or stage a protest.
Last edited by governmentdocuments on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
governmentdocuments

Postby governmentdocuments » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:40 pm

These photos are of the m/c only space on Crosby and Grand and a spot on Broadway, a few streets above Union Square.

The bikes on Broadway - six bikes/scooters - zero license plates. I would imagine it might leave a bad taste in the mouths of the parking enforcement agents and some of the people who live and work in the area.
Attachments
Motorcycles in the City 061.jpg
at least a few of these bikes had their plates on
Motorcycles in the City 005.jpg
As opposed to this spot
Motorcycles in the City 008.jpg
Six bikes/scooters - no license plates
governmentdocuments

Postby Jillian » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:15 am

governmentdocuments wrote:I understand many members of the forum feel motorcycles/scooters should park for free. Does anyone else feel that when it is possible for us to work within the system as it exists, the cooperation is appreciated?

I would much rather pay for parking in dedicated, protected motorcycle/scooter only spaces than to park on the sidewalk, take my license plate off or stage a protest.

I would like to park for free in the sense that I would also like some free ice cream. The reason why it's a recurring sentiment among riders is because, when Muni-Meters were installed with total disregard to motorcycles, other municipalities never figured a way to accommodate us, decided we weren't a significant enough volume of traffic to matter, so they made it free. An exception is San Francisco, which made bike-specific Muni-Meters:

DOT says that they're going to be testing a bike-friendly muni-meter soon. That's great. But they should have a sliding scale of payments. See my letter above.

Plate removal is getting out of hand and I strongly suspect that we're going to see a serious crackdown shortly. Why someone would remove their plate while parked in a legal space, though is totally beyond me!
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Postby Jillian » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Jillian wrote:I just sent off an e-mail to the Quinn address for comments, and CC'd Garodnick:

I just received a response via e-mail today:

Dear Ms. [jillian]:
Thank you for contacting the office of Council Member Garodnick. Council Member Garodnick appreciates your sharing your views on Intro 301 with us.
While we are pleased to hear that you are supportive of this bill and that it aids your situation as a motorcyclist, I have shared your email with our Legislative Office for consideration of how else we might address this problem. Please feel free to contact our office about this or any other matter at (212) 818-0580.
Best,
--
Lily Mandlin
Deputy Communications Director
Council Member Daniel R. Garodnick
W: 212-818-0580
F: 212-818-0706

To me... this sounds like they want to hear about legislative solutions for Muni-Meter problems. An open door! Huzzah!
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Postby Jillian » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:15 am

In light of last meeting's discussion, I have split the topic.

This thread, "Muni-Meters", is for discussion of parking at Muni-Meters, legislation, etc.

The thread "Muni-Meter Protest" in the "Events & Happenings" forum at: viewforum.php?f=11

:geek:
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Re: Muni-Meters - Long Beach, CA tape receipt to headlight

Postby governmentdocuments » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:28 pm

http://library.municode.com/html/16115/ ... AME23.html

For motorcycles, attached to the headlight and readily visible from the adjacent driving lane;
governmentdocuments

Re: Muni-Meters - Long Beach, CA tape receipt to headlight

Postby Jillian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 am

governmentdocuments wrote:For motorcycles, attached to the headlight and readily visible from the adjacent driving lane;

This is the method used in Chicago, I believe; I mentioned it last year sometime. The receipt has an adhesive back (not a permanent adhesive, but something that can be removed pretty easily), and the sticker is placed on the headlight. The TF decided it wasn't a good fit, because the city would have to pay much more $ for adhesive paper, and because the receipts are still open to theft.
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Postby governmentdocuments » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 pm

I did not know about the adhesive discussion. Unfortunately, I did not attend any meetings last year.

Anyone know the outcome of Int. No. 46 from last year? It was referred to the Transportation Committee.

Page 19 of http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/ ... -20-10.pdf

Int. No. 46
By Council Members Lappin, Brewer, Gennaro, James, Koppell, Lander, Nelson and Dromm.

A Local Law to amend the administrative code of the city of New York, in relation to requiring the department of transportation to create a plan for parking motorcycles. Be it enacted by the Council as follows:

Section 1. Legislative findings and intent. Persons cannot park motor vehicles in areas controlled by muni-meters without first purchasing the amount of parking time desired from the meter, and displaying a payment receipt in the vehicle windshield if such requirement is indicated. The Council finds that persons parking motorcycles have little to no means of securing such payment receipt on the vehicle for display. Thus, payment receipts for motorcycles are often lost, damaged or stolen. This bill would address this problem by requiring the Department of Transportation to create a plan to address motorcycle parking in areas controlled by muni-meters.

§2. Subchapter two of chapter one of title nineteen of the administrative code of the city of New York is amended by adding a new section 19-175.4 to read as follows: § 19-175.4 Plan for street parking of motorcycles in areas controlled by municipal meters.

a. Definitions. For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall be defined as follows:

1. “Motorcycle” shall have the same meaning as defined in section 123 of the New York state vehicle and traffic law.

2. “Muni-meter” shall have the same meaning as defined in section 19-167.1 of the code.

b. The department shall make muni-meter payment receipt holders equipped with locks that can be fastened securely to motorcycles available to motorists for cost.

c. No later than one hundred twenty days after the effective date of the local law that added this section, the department shall create and implement a plan for motorcycle parking in areas controlled by muni-meters. Such plan shall include, but not be limited to, developing a method to secure muni-meter receipts on motorcycles

§3. This local law shall take effect sixty days upon enactment. Referred to the Committee on Transportation.
governmentdocuments

Postby Jillian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm

governmentdocuments wrote:Anyone know the outcome of Int. No. 46 from last year? It was referred to the Transportation Committee.

This is a bill for a locking pouch to hold munimeter receipts. It may have passed. If not, DOT is still providing pouches. This entails:
Calling 311 to ask for one (assuming you know to ask)
Getting xferred to the right dept - DOT - good luck
Leaving a message with someone who never picks up the phone, Joshua Salmon, Chief of the Pre-paid Parking Card Unit at (718) 786-2513.
Getting the return call and arranging for mail delivery of the pouch.
Waiting for the pouch to arrive by mail

These hamfisted solutions are why many municipalities have opted to make munimeters free for motorcycles.
I don't need to park free. I just need to park. Let me punch in my plate # and register payment electronically. Works for me, saves paper. Win.
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

prepaid parking

Postby governmentdocuments » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:26 am

Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council
http://www.smartcardalliance.org/resour ... 123005.pdf

Even the industry that distributes the smart cards - parking pre-payment cards like the City uses - admit motorcycles pose a problem.

[S]ome municipalities are turning to more sophisticated multi-space pay stations incorporated into regional wireless networks. While thesefeatures are often achieved with the new pay stations, new challenges arise including costs and enforcement (e.g., for motorcycles and convertibles).

The New York City Department of Transportation (DOT) has been using contact smart cards to pay for parking since the summer of 1998.

http://www.smartcardalliance.org/pages/ ... nd-parking

U.S. cities with contact smart card-based parking programs include: Albany, NY; Arlington, VA; Clemson, SC; Coral Gables, FL; Denver, CO; Miami, FL; Miami Beach, FL; Minneapolis, MN; Naperville, IL; New Haven, CT; New York, NY; Orlando, FL; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; Portland, OR; Princeton, NJ; Providence, RI; Sacramento, CA; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; San Jose, CA; Santa Cruz, CA; Santa Monica, CA.

We should survey the other 21 cities to find out how they handle their motorcycle parking payments. We already know about SF.

Motorcycle Parking - Motorcycles can be a more fuel efficient alternative to passenger cars. Reduced-rate motorcycle parking is provided at eight of the 20 SFMTA operated parking garages. This is an early model for potential green vehicle parking incentives. Motorcycle parking rates are generally about 20 percent of the long-term parking rates for automobiles. For example, the flat rate for motorcycle parking in the Fifth and Mission Garage is $5 per day, compared to $25 for automobile parking for seven to 12 hours. Monthly parking rates for motorcycles at the Fifth and Mission Garage are $70 compared to a regular monthly rate of $300 for autos.

http://www.sf-planning.org/ftp/files/ME ... n_ApxE.pdf
governmentdocuments

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Bike