Parking close to 47th and 6th?

Parking, Maintenance, and Such

Parking close to 47th and 6th?

Postby mosquito » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 am

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and would like some help on parking. I live in Queens and would like to commute by scooter but am not sure where I can park on 47th and 6th. If someone can give some advice I would appreciate it. Thanks!
mosquito

Re: Parking close to 47th and 6th?

Postby Jillian » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 am

Welcome, mosquito! Midtown is such a troublesome place for commuter parking, unfortunately. There's legal, alternate-side parking on 47th between 9th and 10th (which gives you three avenues to stretch your legs before you get in to the office :mwink: ) That's about the closest I could find. A lot of folks try to "guerilla park" by removing their plate or covering their scooter, but you do risk getting towed or ticketed when an agent reads the VIN off your frame.

BTW I used www.primospot.com to find this, which is a pretty handy resource for parking rules in the city. Good luck!
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Postby mosquito » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks Jillian. Between 9th and 10th is too far. As far as guerilla parking goes, how do you feel between about between 6th and 7th avenues? Is it a high ticket area?
mosquito

Postby Jillian » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:36 am

I strongly encourage you to park legally on 47th and 9th. It's a 10 minute walk to your office, and if you're coming in from Queens, it's really no big deal timewise. It is vastly preferable to retrieving your scoot from the impound lot, with cracked plastics, and paying $300+ for the privilege.

Why not try parking legally, and see how it goes?

I can't speak to guerrilla parking in the particular area, but if you see multiple bikes/scooters in the same spot every day, they're probably being ignored by traffic agents. Some use "platepuller" holders, some use velcro, some use covers to hide the plate. Mostly they park in commercial-only Muni-Meter zones.

Good luck.
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Return to Off the Bike