Navigating the Forum

Navigating the Forum

Postby Jillian » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Help Navigating the Forum, or, What you See when you're Here!

When you log in, you see 5 forums (7 if you're a voting member):
Riders' Talk
Legislation & Politics
Events and Happenings
Off the Bike
Help with the Forum

When you go inside a forum, say Riders' Talk, you see topics, or threads:

There's always the "rules" on top, then the threads:

If you see a thread of interest, click it, read it, post in it!

If you want to start a new thread (topic), go for it!

You can make it a poll, insert pictures or documents, or select e-mail notifications when people reply:

The forum is small, so far. So don't worry too much about where you put your replies or if your topic is in the wrong spot. The moderators can move it around if needed. The most important thing is to use the TF website as a resource for all things two-wheeled in the NY area! 8-)
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Re: Navigating the Forum

Postby governmentdocuments » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:40 pm

So - I am a text based person and in looking at the forum just now, it occurred to me that those dots next to the forum topics might be telling me something about where there are unread messages. Is there a graphic image key somewhere? I see those smilies dancing around me all the time when I post new messages, but it never occurred to me to look for other things like that.
governmentdocuments

Re: Navigating the Forum

Postby Jillian » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:49 pm

The dots next to each forum do tell you some information. It's user-based, depending on when you come to the forum and what you do here.

This is when I logged in: the dot with lines in red shows this forum has unread posts (posts I haven't read yet)
the dot with lines in black shows this forum has no unread posts (i've read all the new stuff)

You can "mouse over" each of these dots and a little yellow box will show up telling you what it means. In the pic above, my cursor is on the "Events & Happenings" dot and it's lines w/black, and the box pops up saying "no unread posts."

The mouseover is a really handy computer trick. You just have to hold the mouse over a picture without moving it for a 2-beat hold. When the computer world got really in to graphics, icons, symbols, and such, this was a way to help people figure out what a button was before clicking it.
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Return to Help with the Forum