Suggestion - allow public to have read access to content

Suggestion - allow public to have read access to content

Postby Zeno » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:05 pm

I've linked a few posts from this site to other sites, but people cannot view the content without registering.

Many boards allow viewing content (but no posting) even if you're not registered. Would it be possible to allow viewing of content without registering?
Zeno

Re: Suggestion - allow public to have read access to content

Postby Jillian » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:39 am

This is a good question. I know there was a reason we wanted it reg-only from the beginning. I'll bring this up at tonight's meeting and see what members say.
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Postby JohnC » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:31 am

Are there any plans to promote this site/task force other than the Javitz show? I talk to a bunch of riders and mention this task force but none of them ever knew it existed. I also asked on ADV a while back if there were any fliers or cards that can be distributed but never heard back from anyone.

Just wondering.
JohnC

Postby Jillian » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:47 am

JohnC wrote:I also asked on ADV a while back if there were any fliers or cards that can be distributed but never heard back from anyone.

Oops... I forgot about you, John. :oops: I have cards. I'll be at the meeting tonight, of course. I'll also be in midtown east Friday, 9-5, if you want to swing by. You can PM me to arrange this.

JohnC wrote:Are there any plans to promote this site/task force other than the Javitz show? I talk to a bunch of riders and mention this task force but none of them ever knew it existed.

This is the question of all questions. How do we reach riders? I think shop outreach would be a good place to start... or flyering bikes.
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Postby JohnC » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:17 pm

I like to talk to riders either by were they park or when someone hits them. They all complain about the lack of parking spaces....

Yesterday I saw a couple on a Harley with Kentucky plates pull into the BP parking garage. I went over to let them know they wouldn't let them park there. We started talking about how NYC is NOT motorcycle friendly. I suggested they try other parking garages in BPC.

I feel you can get the word out about NYMSTF just be handing out some literature and talking to other riders.
JohnC

Postby Jillian » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey, John, we talked, briefly, about forum access at tonight's meeting. Basically, we're hungry for membership. So we'd like people to sign up. I know it creates a barrier, but it's not too too much of a burden, and maybe someday we'll have enough of a critical mass to be able to ride on our own merits and popularity. But for now, there's a signup wall. 1drink
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Postby JohnC » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks for the update. But how are people gonna signup if they don't know the task force exists? Why not create fliers or business cards so that they can signup? Just wondering. :D
JohnC

Postby Cheryl S » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi John,
You're right that we need to do a better job with outreach. We're currently very small, and our volounteers are stretched pretty thin. It would be great to have more members to share the load. I've left our flyers at shops, and we've been written up a few times in Backroads including this month's edition. I speak to other riders about the Task Force whenever I can as well.

We're a new group, and we're developing strategy as we go along. I agree with Jillian that it's going to take a some time for riders to become familiar with the work that we do. We'll be at the Vintage Show at Works Engineering in Williamsburg on August 21st with our business cards and flyers. If you're around I hope you get a chance to stop by. If you have more ideas for outreach we would love to hear them.
Cheryl S
Cheryl S

Postby Jillian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:15 am

After last night's meeting it was decided to open "read-only" access to the public parts of the forum to guests (those who have no login). :clap:

So thanks, John and Zeno, for your input -- even though our response was delayed! :nod:
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Return to Help with the Forum