Introductions!

Public chat about the reality of riding throughout the state of NY.

Introductions!

Postby jerlbaum » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:38 am

Welcome to the NYMSTF forum! Please introduce yourself on this thread. Where are you from? What do you ride?
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Re: Introductions!

Postby jerlbaum » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:43 am

I'll start!

My name is Jesse. Probably a few of you here know me. I commute daily to work in Manhattan on my '07 Tiger 1050, year round.

I joined the NYMSTF before it actually had a name. My pet peeves are lack of safe motorcycle and scooter parking in the city.

I've even been interviewed on the topic. Check out the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSenYxeIfG4[/youtube]

Thanks!

jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby Cheryl S » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:36 pm

I'm Cheryl. I live in Brooklyn and my bikes have been my full time, year 'round commuting, track day, and vacation vehicles since... oh, jeez. I don't know. I'm old and I've been riding since 1981. For better or worse, I now own a car, too. Yikes! I needed one to haul my track bike to to the track.

My main ride is an '01 Yamaha FZ1. Also on the road are a '93 EX500 and an old heap of an '82 Seca 650. The other four disreputable bikes in my backyard are rusting comfortably and can't be bothered to get rolling. I'm in the market for a new-to-me track bike, so if you find a 600cc sport bike with a bunch of go-fast parts already installed, I want to know about it.

I'm a Founding Member of the Siren's Women's MC, an instructor with Fishtail Riding School, and the President of the NYMSTF. We started the Task Force because there was simply no one speaking for us and our needs. The difference between our approach and that of a typical MRO is that we're committed to being proactive instead of reactive. One of our goals is to let people in NYC and NYS know that we're riding fuel-efficient, congestion reducing vehicles. Other countries, and even other states in the U.S. have already recognised that we're green, alternative transportation and have been actually encouraging rather than discouraging riders to ride their bikes. We're convinced that once we convey that important message to NY residents and lawmakers we'll have allies who will help us get dedicated two-wheel only parking, redirect our misappropriated safety funding, and stop proposing laws that inadvertently disadvantage us.

I looove to ride, and I have a passion for making NY a better riding environment for all of us.
Cheryl S
Cheryl S

Postby Jillian » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:22 am

Hi, I'm Jillian! I live on the UES and am a daily commuter on my 2006 BMW F650GS. I also tinker on a 72 Bonneville.

I put about 30,000 miles on my GS in the 18 months that I've had it, a lot of that done on adventure-type trips like Labrador, Canada:

and a summer in Europe:

I joined the NYMSTF because it struck me immediately as the kind of group that can get great things done to improved two-wheeled live in the city. I'm now the secretary of the TF and love the ideas and dialogue that have arisen here and in meetings.

I didn't have a lot of support when I was a new rider, and was left to pretty much figure things out on my own. So I like the idea of the NYMSTF being the go-to place for riders to get information about rules, rights, regulations, and riding.
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Postby jerlbaum » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Jillian wrote:Image

One tank for milk, the other for blood? :lol:
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby Jillian » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:20 pm

jerlbaum wrote:One tank for milk, the other for blood? :lol:

Dude, this was the Pyrenees. One red, one white... vino, that is. :D

Srsly, though, I can't recommend the containers enough. They're killer handy for carrying liquids! Note in the first photo that I have a 1gal jerry can strapped to my pannier - not fun for the back! They're called Rotopax and keep fuel/water low and balanced, plus they're super thick and strong. :geek: But maybe I should volunteer my services for remote blood deliveries! :lol:
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Postby Brad Berson » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:09 am

I've chosen to spare everyone silly handles and register here with my real name - Brad Berson - currently VP of the NYMSTF as well as one of the founders. I'm a lifetime New Yorker; born in Brooklyn, in that notorious place currently making vile headlines as "Flatbush Gardens". I currently ride a 1997 Honda VFR-750 - my fourth since I fell in love with that style. Before that I've had all sorts of street bikes, including a few Yamaha RZ-350 Kenny Roberts specials. Over the last thirty or so years I've ridden well over 250,000 miles, much in and around the NYC metro area as well as throughout the USA and Canada. Lots of time to become thoroughly disgruntled with the terrible way New York, and NYC in particular, treats motorcycles and motorcyclists.

Brad Berson

Postby Cheryl S » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Brad Berson wrote:I've chosen to spare everyone silly handles and register here with my real name - Brad Berson - currently VP of the NYMSTF as well as one of the founders....

But I miss the silly handle!
Cheryl S
Cheryl S

Postby Eddie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Eddie

Been riding about 17 years, since I was 13

Had a bunch of bikes over the years, first street legal ride was a Kawasaki KE100 when I was 16 that I got to commute to college with, before that I had a bunch of dirt bikes and scooters.

A bunch of cruisers, crotch rockets and enduros came and went over the years

Right now I'm riding a Kawasaki Concoction (part concours, part ZRX1200, part ninja ZX-10).

A 2000 Honda Shadow w\ factory touring package and a Honda Hawk GT will soon be sold to make room for more of an adventure style bike.

I just picked up a "Harley" MT500 ex military bike to play in the dirt with.
Eddie

Postby Jillian » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Eddie wrote:I just picked up a "Harley" MT500 ex military bike to play in the dirt with.

Pics, please!!! :mrgreen:
President, NYMSTF
Jillian

Next

Return to Riders' Talk