Glasses vs Goggles

Public chat about the reality of riding throughout the state of NY.

Glasses vs Goggles

Postby adelie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 am

I've heard of riders being ticketed for having their visor cracked open (even slightly). I always wear either sunglasses during the day or clear 'safety' glasses at night.
and frequently crack my visor open on hot days. I even ride with visor completely open when I'm on my Vulcan, since it has a full windshield but still wear eyeware.

My question is, do these have to be DOT approved eyewear to satisfy the fuzz, or just the fact that I'm wearing something good enough?

Thanks.
adelie

Re: Glasses vs Goggles

Postby Jillian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:18 am

This is a good question. Yes, you have to have the visor down. Yes, riders have been ticketed for this. Yes, it's ridiculous, since whatever it's open is less than the opening beneath a 3/4 helmet with a face shield - like this
And yes, it's ridiculous that the manufacturer has a stay-open point made just for the purpose of defogging the visor and that NYPD disagrees.

You're supposed to have eye protection with the "ANSI Z87" standard. I believe Brad noted some inconsistencies in this law and maybe he'll chime in with more info. Check your goggles and look for an engraving.

At the end of the day, if you have "tech" looking goggles with the visor up, a cop will probably give you a pass. But legally, and safety-wise, it should be the ANSI spec ones.

Happy riding! :thumb:
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Postby Brad Berson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks Jillian, you're pretty much on the money. If you have non-Z87 eyewear under an open face shield then you are not compliant with New York State law.

The big inconsistency - besides this NYC -only stupidity about faceshields being lifted even incrementally - is that the NYS VTL says you need "goggles" but ANSI Z87, which is what the commish wants in the NYCRR, applies to goggles and spectacles.

The NYSP says spectacles are OK. I have as yet not heard of anyone being ticketed for safety spectacles as long as they are Z87. I have heard reports of idiot cops looking for "DOT" markings on eyewear. There is no such thing.
Brad Berson

Postby adelie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:43 am

Great. Thanks. My clear glasses are Z87 but my sunglasses were not. So I just ordered these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180951955099?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. :wings:
adelie

Postby adelie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks to you both for the advice. I received the new glasses this weekend and they are very comfotable and very clear. I would highly recommend them.
adelie

Postby Jillian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:34 pm

My prescription sunglasses broke and I'd like to get a proper pair of ANSI spec goggle/sports glasses. Does anyone know of any optometrist in NYC who has a decent stock to try out?
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Return to Riders' Talk