Lane Splitting

Public chat about the reality of riding throughout the state of NY.

Lane Splitting

Postby jerlbaum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:49 am

jerlbaum
Site Admin

Re: Lane Splitting

Postby Jillian » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 pm

I think this video does an amazing job of explaining how it's a rider's responsibility to stay safe, and that without crumple zones and big cagey boxes, lane splitting is a really optimal defense for us. This is what "bikes are for" - and it can be a totally appropriate and safe way to ride if you're comfortable with it.

Thanks, Jesse, for finding this!
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Postby traveycat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit. If I wanted to see a pointless MTV video, I would have gone to MTV. Where is the research? What facts have been presented about lane splitting? Nothing. This entire video amounts to 3 self-centered jackasses waxing philosophical about what they wanna do. Great- it's legal in Europe and California. First change the entire car/motorcycle culture in the rest of the country THEN have a look at the safety of this dubious practice. We motorcyclists get enough bad press as it is. Why bother with this tripe? -David Hill
traveycat

Postby Jillian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:11 pm

I think Traveycat raises interesting points, but I gotta disagree. I think the video was intended to be a friendly presentation & dialogue, not as a data-fueled study. Thus the 250,000 views :mwink:

The best studies on lanesplitting show that it can (of course) be involved in some accidents, (0.45% according to the best, the MAIDS study). But it also "slightly reduces" accidents of riders rear-ended - and there hasn't been a really good way of saying which rear-endeds would have been avoided if the rider had been lane-splitting. Though the MAIDS study did compare countries in Europe where lanesplitting is legal versus those where it is not.

I agree that we need to change car and motorcycle culture here. Lane-splitting increases rider visibility - and makes it so that cars can (almost) NOT ignore us. Can you imagine if our rush hour looked like this? Paris does:

Oregon considered legalizing lanesplitting in 2010. Here is the report
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TP_RES/do ... haring.pdf

They decided not to because it would "confuse car drivers." That was an opportunity to change car culture, that was lost.
President, NYMSTF
http://www.nymstf.org
Jillian

Postby jerlbaum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:30 pm

traveycat wrote:Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit. If I wanted to see a pointless MTV video, I would have gone to MTV. Where is the research? What facts have been presented about lane splitting? Nothing. This entire video amounts to 3 self-centered jackasses waxing philosophical about what they wanna do. Great- it's legal in Europe and California. First change the entire car/motorcycle culture in the rest of the country THEN have a look at the safety of this dubious practice. We motorcyclists get enough bad press as it is. Why bother with this tripe? -David Hill

Hi David --

You make a couple points, which I want to (try to) address:

1. "Pointless MTV video"

Well, the point was to communicate at a very high level. As Jillian put it, not a "data-fueled" wonkish film, but something to give a broad overview.

2. "Self-centered jackasses"

I see you've watched RideApart before! :lol8:

Seriously, I kinda like these Jackasses! These aren't "stunter" videos -- they are pretty well-made films. Also, I think the better jackass film of theirs would be this. :deal:

3. "This dubious practice"

Maybe. But, you have to consider the utter arbitrary-ness of the laws which prohibit it. You suggest that we need to change the culture -- well, I proffer the following: "This is one way to do that."

If you ask me, the way we get from where we are to a new, more motorcycle-friendly culture is to encourage main-stream motorcycling. That means more commuters, and less weekend warriors.

Thoughts?
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby jerlbaum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Jillian wrote:Oregon considered legalizing lanesplitting in 2010. Here is the report
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TP_RES/do ... haring.pdf

They decided not to because it would "confuse car drivers." That was an opportunity to change car culture, that was lost.

"Confused" is the mental state right before "Changed." :deal:
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby Jusjih » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:52 pm

If motorcycle lane splitting would confuse car drivers, then so would bicycle lane splitting. My compromise is to allow 5 miles per hour past stopped traffic first so splitting faster would be speeding. Car-centric culture is too bad, so both motorcycles and bicycles deserve more attention.

If ever accused of "unlawful" motorcycle lane splitting under 5 miles per hour, fight it and I consider Section 1252 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law forgetting Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution about the equal protection of the laws. Why should lane splitting under 5 miles per hour be "equally unlawful" as 55 miles per hour? Why ban lane splitting by motorcycles but not bicycles? Next time when I meet candidates for elected offices, I would like to test their US constitutional knowledge.
JJ
https://sites.google.com/site/jusjih/motorcycles#lsm
alerts.motorists.org/nma-email-newsletter-issue-96

DISCLAIMER: This post does not necessarily reflect the formal opinions of my participating organizations.
Jusjih

Postby jerlbaum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Jusjih wrote:Why ban lane splitting by motorcycles but not bicycles?

Bicycles and Motorcycles are completely different, from a legal point of view. I don't know why you would think that it's not allowed that these vehicles would be governed by different laws.

For example, my 7 year old can ride a bicycle, but not my road-going motorcycle. :deal:
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Postby Jusjih » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Bicycles need no lights during daytime, but they tend to be less visible than motorcycles that must have lights on in New York even in sunny days, so I consider banning lane splitting by motorcycles but not bicycles too unrealistic to be fair. Your example that 7 year old can ride a bicycle, but not road-going motorcycle, is distracting from the topic of lane splitting.

If I do not see motorcycle lane splitting under 5 miles per hours legalized, I may at anytime want to quit motorcycling that is not absolutely needed in my life, then I just revert to bicycles not needing registration.

From now on, please note that I drive THREE kinds of vehicles on roads: bicycle, motorcycle, and car, so if you have questions about any of these, I may be able to answer as a bicyclist, a motorcyclist, and a motorist. This is why I am a traffic expert, though not professional.
JJ
https://sites.google.com/site/jusjih/motorcycles#lsm
alerts.motorists.org/nma-email-newsletter-issue-96

DISCLAIMER: This post does not necessarily reflect the formal opinions of my participating organizations.
Jusjih

Postby jerlbaum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Jusjih wrote:From now on, please note that I drive THREE kinds of vehicles on roads: bicycle, motorcycle, and car, so if you have questions about any of these, I may be able to answer as a bicyclist, a motorcyclist, and a motorist. This is why I am a traffic expert, though not professional.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of all motorcyclists also ride bicycles and drive cars. So, that's not really much of a qualification for being an "expert." :deal:

Talking about bicycles ARE a distraction from talking about motorcycle lane splitting. I agree. Which is why it is un-helpful to bring it up here, or especially when you communicate with law makers, or ACTUAL experts on transportation. It just sounds silly.
jerlbaum
Site Admin

Next

Return to Riders' Talk